I've been away from DMB for a few years and would welcome some input on a first project back. I want to build rosters for all 30 teams based on the 2000 to 2016 era. A player's best single season is imported based on the following specs:
- 17 position players (three catchers, two from other positions). Criteria is best position WARs with a minimum of 1200 plate appearances. No clones within the same league. A player qualifying for two teams would go to the team with his highest WAR (exceptions possible - ex. Braves didn't need Furcal, so he goes to LA).
- 15 pitchers (7 starters, 8 relievers, 3 of which will be LH). Criteria is best ERA+, starters with a minimum of 90 GS, relievers with a minimum of 150 GR.
- I'll use an average of the 17 seasons as my era data points. New era is labeled "2017."
- 2016 ballpark factors are modified to an average of either the entire 17 year period or the seasons of their existence in this period. Resulting ballparks are labeled as "2017." (Still don't understand the ramifications of changing DMB eras or ballpark factors but assume it's ok if you change the year, i.e. keep the integrity of the DMB 2016 data).
- Use the 2017 schedule for league play.
- DH used for both leagues.
- To make it interesting if a player meets the criteria during the season, he is eligible to replace another player on the current roster - mid-season.
- If I like this project enough, review after the season for possible roster adds and subtracts, or replace a player's year with the 2017 season, if it proves to be better.
- I would greatly appreciate any advice or help.